Tuesday, August 18, 2009

My Trip to the Netherlands

Several years ago, my wife and I were asked to come speak at a church by Pastor Edward Kwapong. We were to be 'special' guests on Easter for his congregation. I accepted his invitation without hesitation and made plans to travel, which my wife and I love to do with a passion!

The pastor shared that his congregation was mostly comprised of refugees from Africa, as the Netherlands is a port of receptivity for refugees. This sounded intriguing, as I was eager to meet pastor and his congregation.

As my wife and I arrived in the Netherlands, we were asked if we would be interested in going to a refugee camp the following day (this would be the Saturday before Easter). We stated that we would be interested, as pastor was going to share and minister to those that lived there.

I have to admit, as we traveled to the refugee camp, I was expecting to experience a down trodden group as they struggled with fleeing their country and living in what used to be a prisoner of war camp. However, as I met the refugees, they were extremely friendly and full of joy! We only had a few moments to greet and meet one another before we had church. We met in a room that I do not want to know how it was used during the war, because it was being filled with the glory of God. The refugees sang praises to the Lord in such a manner that I had never been apart of previously. We did not have musical instruments and was led by a young man who sang completely from his heart. I was literally crying due to the purity of heart that the refugees expressed in their love, adoration and worship toward their God. These individuals were living in a camp well below the level of my lifestyle. Yet their hearts were not concerned with things of this world.

My wife and I entered the church the following morning expecting anything. I learned a lesson the previous day and my eyes were open that this was not my typical church experience. This was a life changing experience. The congregation showed up by walking, riding bikes or however they could make it, they made it. Many came from far away enduring the freezing rain. I heard no one complain or make a negative remark about the weather or anything else for that matter!

The service was marvelous, as the congregation dressed in their finest tribal dress/apparal to celebrate the Lord's Resurrection. Worship was literally heavenly as we sang and loved God in worship. I was then asked to minister, but I honestly felt that I had been ministered to by this wonferful congregation and pastor. We ended the service with the pastor arranging a African dance celebrating Christ. I stood in amazement as I saw men and woman dancing joyfully before the Lord. The pastor saw that I was observing and 'pulled me in' the dance. It was awesome.

Asd I flew home from the Netherlands, I thought about how the refugees lived simple lives and loved God and others. I think often of their love, passion and freedom in Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment