Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Imitate me, as I imitate Christ

I walked in as service was just beginning. The church was Faith Fellowship, a small congregation in Muncie, Indiana. I was in need of help. I had been a satanist for the past 4 years and had attempted suicide twice, not to mention that I was demon possessed.

As I walked in, I felt very uncomfortable. But I knew what I had to do. The people of the church were a bit uneased by my appearance. I was frail and wore sunglasses. This was an evening service. I took my seat in the back row of pews. I attempted to listen as Larry Delaney, the pastor taught. However, it was very uncomfortable as what was inside of me did not want me to be there.

After the service, I lingered, hoping that someone would initiate conversation. Harry Richardson did just that. He approached me and we began to talk. I shared very little about myself, but he was very open and seemed genuinely interested in me. I met his wife, Jo and they asked if I would like to come to their house for dinner later that week. I said yes.

I was picked up at my house by the Richardsons and driven to their home. That gesture allowed me to see that this couple was willing to assist me. As we arrived at their home, I realized that these folks were of a 'higher class' than I had been around. Harry had been Ball State University's Librarian and Jo had been an Arts professor. They lived in a beautiful home and had 'nice things'. However, they were very humble individuals and made me feel at home.

Dinner was a bit awkward, as I was feeling them out as to what I should reveal about myself and my life. After dinner, we went into their living room and I opened up. I told them that I had been a satanist but was looking to get out. Jo immediately reached out her hand and said "You need prayer". Indeed I did and this was the help that I was seeking.

She and Harry prayed for me and cast out the demons that had been tormenting me for years. I smiled so much after they came out that my face hurt. I was literally set free and prayed again to totally give my life to Jesus Christ. I was now a Christian.

Harry and Jo became like my parents. They poured out their lives for me. Endless hours of counsel, prayer and unconditional love was my experience all because I was asked to come to dinner. Meeting Harry and Jo saved my life. God used them in an awesome way.

I want to be like or imitate Harry and Jo. They were available for God to use them. They cared. They were humble servants.

No comments:

Post a Comment