Saturday, July 4, 2009

Why I Share My Testimony

When I became a Christian some 20+ years ago, I used to share my testimony rather freely. I met with some rather unusual responses as I was quite naive and rather zealous to win the world for Jesus Christ. I expected those who did not know Jesus to fall to their knees in repentance and the ones who knew Jesus to welcome me with open arms of love. I told you that I was naive.

What happened was many who did not know Jesus did not want to know me or hear about Him because they thought that I was a freak. Your average Joe ( or Josephine) on the street just wasn't prepared to hear about someone who had been a satanist, much less about Jesus Christ and His power to save one's soul.

As I shared my testimony with the ones who knew Jesus, or at least they stated that they did and attended church, I again met some unexpected responses. Many simply did not know what to do around me. There were many an awkward moment as I ventured to fellowship with my fellow Christians. They had not met someone who had been a satanist before and there was much misinformation floating around the church as to the subject on satanism. This was in the '80's when the Christians knew Mike Warnke and his false testimony, which made satanism out to be a big deal. Then there were the books written about child sacrifices etc which resulted in the 'satanic panic' era. This all became much too much for me to deal with, so I quite sharing my testimony and attempted to become an average Joe on the street, just like anyone else.

I got a church ministry position working with youth and their families and simply loved it! I was in my element. I was no longer in the awkward position that I had been in, I was just a regular church staff youth minister. I loved the opportunity be a average guy during this time in my life. But it was during this time, as the 'satanic panic' fears subsided that a new occultic fad was rising; Wicca. I had a wiccan join my youth group at church. My wife and I simply loved this girl and invested our lives in her. She ended up becoming a Christian, but I was jolted out of my self absorbed world of dictating to God how I was going to serve Him.

I had been telling God that I wanted to be an average person (whatever that meant!) And, what I had done was to go into hiding while I was in the ministry. I went into hiding because I was not sharing what God had done for me. I had run away from my past to the point that the church only knew me on a superficial basis. I knew that the occult was a reality but kept pushing it away until the wiccan came to me. She was used by God to wake me up so that I can share what He has done for me and help others who may find themselves in a position that I was in when He saved me.

Maybe the average Joe (or Josephine) on the street doesn't want to know me or hear about Jesus Christ and His power to save their souls. However, it is not about me and their response. It is about Him and He desiring that they do not perish. Believe me, I have done a complete 180. I am sharing my testimony freely.

As to the church and their response. Many still believe in the 'satanic panic' fables. Many of the authors that came out with the books in the '80's have been found out for what they really are. I simply share my testimony with Christians so that they may know Him in a way that will help them to love Him more. Also, to help them to dismiss the unwarranted fears of the devil and his demons. God is in control and is Almighty. He deserves our praise and we are to glorify Him.

That is why I share my testimony.

2 comments:

  1. Hi,

    Is it possible to post your testimony and Annie's testimony again? I would like to read them. Thanks for your time, God bless

    ReplyDelete
  2. here is a link to a written version of my testimony. I give a full detailed testimony in my book from Darkness to Light http://www.spiritualwarfaredeliverance.com/occult-occultism-deliverance-healing/html/ex-satanist-testimony.html

    Here is a link to Annie's testimony http://www.shelovesgod.com/library/testimony.cfm?articleid=7226

    ReplyDelete